CHRONOLOGY OF NEW YORK CITY'S FACTUAL "FIRST" 1524-1999
Researched and Compiled by Miriam Medina

S    E   C    T    I    O    N

 1    6    5    1    ---    1    6    6    1

*Please note this is a work in progress. New researched information will be added periodically.

1 6 5 0

1) Jamaica, Borough of Queens: Jamaica derives its name from the Jameco tribe of Indians whose main village was at the southern end of Baisley's Pond, or Nassau Lake as it is now called. A charter for the town was granted to fifteen English families in 1650 by Governor Peter Stuyvesant acting for the States General of Holland and the Dutch West India Company. The first settlement was made in that year around Beaver Pond, which was full of Beaver in those days, and the Beaver skins were the principal money of the colony. Each man was granted a house-lot within the stockade, a plantation lot for farming, a wood lot for fire-wood, and a salt meadow lot for hay for cattle and horses. * (jama)

2) As early as 1650 schools were organized on Long Island. The first school in Brooklyn was started in the Dutch church in Bushwick. it was supported by the government, and was one of the first public schools in America.* (b.d.e.) 10/1/1892)

1 6 5 1

1) Flatbush was originally known as Midwout and was first settled in 1651. * (NYS History)

1 6 5 2

1) Allard Anthony came from Holland to New Amsterdam, now the city of New York, about the middle of the 17th century. The first reference to him in the records is dated 1652.

2) The first Latin school was established and the first law against fast driving was passed. * (eonyc)

3) The Town of Flatbush (Midwout or Vlacke Bosch) is chartered. The Dutch West India Company acquires Yellow Hook (Bayridge) from the Nyack Indians. * (BTL)

4) On the 4th of April, 1652 a "burgher government "was established at Manhattan. * (nycp&p)

5) In the autumn of 1652 the settlements of Middleburgh and Midwout now Newtown and Flatbush were founded under patents from Stuyvesant. * (nycp&p)

6) Staten Island, In 1652 the Waldenses founded a village at Stony Brook which lasted until the middle of the eighteenth century, when it crumbled away. The latter part of the seventeenth century saw the Huguenots settling at Marshland, now Greenridge. During Kieft's misrule, the island suffered with the adjoining territory the ravages of the Indians. * (histguide)

7) Fulton Ferry: In 1652 the Burgomasters of New Amsterdam, made an unsuccessful application to Governor Stuyvesant for the ferry to Breukelen to defray the city expenses. * (B.D.E. 6/17/1872)

8) The Van Sicklen and part of the Emmons family of this locality are his descendents. On November 22, 1652, Cornelius Van Werokhoven, a member of the West Indian Company who were the European proprietors of the New Netherlands, purchased of the Indian proprietors what is commonly known as the Nyack tracts, extending along the Narrows and lower bay, from the line between the premises, late of Albert N. Van Brunt and that of late Chandler White, to what is known as Cortelyou's lane, or the end leading from the bay near the residence of John C. Bennett, to the Village of New Utrecht. * (B.D.E. 10/19/1877)

9) Flatbush and Newtown were founded in 1652.

10) The Wyckoff House in Brooklyn, one of a handful of surviving Dutch farmhouses, dates from circa 1652, and is believed to be the oldest structure in New York City. It was built by Pieter Claesen Wyckoff, a former indentured servant who rose to prosperity as a farmer. Until the early 1900s, his descendants lived in the house, which is today a museum of colonial Dutch life.

11) In Nieuw Amersfoordt lived for a time, Jacob Steendam, the first verse-maker of Nieuw Nederlandt. In 1652, he bought a bouwerie there, which,on returning to Holland eight years later, he sold to the West India Company for one hundred and
ninety schepels' of buckwheat. Among his verses, inspired by his residence there, are " The Complaint of Nieuw Nederlandt to her Mother," 1659, and the " Praise of Nieuw Nederlandt," 1661.' *(E.L.I.)

12) The first Domine, coming in August, 1652, was Johannes Theodorus Polhemus, a former missionary to Brazil. He preached at Flatbush in the morning, and in the afternoon alternately at Breuckelen ' and Nieuw Amersfoordt. On his arrival the Director-
General called the congregation together for their approval of him. They consented to receive him, and to pay a salary of one thousand and forty guilders. Later the people of Breuckelen objected to paying their proportion, on the plea that his sermons were too short. *(e.l.i.)

13) An exhaustive investigation of the first charter granted to new York City has just been completed. The question was raised as to a statement made in the Eagle Almanac for 1901 to this effect: "The original charter of the City of new Amsterdam was granted by the Dutch government in 1657." When the correctness of that statement, which is generally accepted as true, was questioned the matter was referred to William C. De Witt, the eminent lawyer and charter authority. Mr. De Witt has completed an elaborate investigation of the subject and finds that the first charter of the municipality was granted by legislative authority in 1652 and conferred upon the people of New Amsterdam by Governor Stuyvesant on February 2, 1653. (36)

14) William Hallett, who had come from England and arrived in Queens after a short stay at Greenwich, Conn., received on December 1, 1652, a patent for one hundred and sixty acres on Long Island, described as follows: "A plot of ground at Hellegat, upon Long Island, called Jacques' farm, and beginning at a great rock that lies in the meadow, goes upward southeast to the end of a very small swamp, two hundred and two rods ; from thence northeast two hundred and thirty rods, on the north it goes up to running water, two hundred and ten rods." In 1655 his house and other buildings were destroyed by the Indians and Hallett removed to Flushing where he was appointed sheriff, but deposed by Governor Stuyvesant, and also fined and put into prison, because he had permitted the Rev. William Wickenden from Rhode Island to preach at his house, and had partaken of the sacrament of the Lord's Supper from his hands. Hallett was a bitter enemy of Stuyvesant, as indeed all the English on Long Island were, and he warmly advocated the claims of Connecticut to the island when the population revolted from Dutch rule. He was a delegate to the General Court of Legislature of the colony of Connecticut and afterward commissioner or justice of the peace for Flushing. Later he removed again to Hellgate. The records show that in 1664 he bought from the Indian chiefs, Shawestcont and Erramorhar, a tract of land beginning at a creek "commonly called Sunswick," and extending westward to below Hellgate, including Hewlett's Island. This tract included nearly the whole of Hell Gate Neck, and was called by the Indians "Sintsinck." It embraced many parcels which had already been deeded by the Indians to other parties, and which had been settled upon, and they were, of course, excluded when the grant was confirmed by the English governors, Nicolls and Dongan. But we see here how the name "Hallett's Cove" originated. It has been mentioned that the Hunter estate was sold to Union College of Schenectady. This transaction became of such enormous importance to the development of the district known as Astoria, later incorporated in Long Island City. (40)

1 6 5 3

1) A defensive wall across lower Manhattan, extending from the North Hudson River to the East River is constructed by the New Amsterdam colonists, fearing hostile Indian attacks as well as assaults by the British, giving Wall Street its name. *(Bwy)

2) .New Amsterdam, now New York City, was incorporated, February 2, 1653. *(afp.com)

3) The New Utrecht Reformed Dutch Church Cemetery, established around 1653-1654, before the church was organized, is an important reminder of the town's earliest period of development. The cemetery was centrally located on the village's Main Street, now 84th Street, and the original church was constructed adjacent to it in 1700. * (nyclc)

4) On February 6, 1653 the first city magistrate were Arendt van Hattem and Marten Kregur, Burgomasters: Paulus Leendertsen van der Grist, Maxmillian van Gheel, Allard Anthony, Pieter Wolfertsen van Couwenhoven, and William Beekman, Schepenen. Their first meeting was February 6. * (NYS History)

5) Lambert Janse Dorlandt came to New Netherland on the ship "Bonte Koe" arriving in New Amsterdam in 1653. He first settled at Flatbush (now Brooklyn, N.Y.) and was constable there in 1671 and magistrate in 1673. * (Hollanders)

6) The Van Brunt family belongs among the earliest Dutch settlers in the New World. The first progenitor to come to America was Rutger Joesten Van Brunt, who arrived in New Netherland in 1653 and settled at New Ultrecht, L.I. in 1657. * (Hollanders)

7) The first progenitor who embarked for the New World was Jan Van Cleve who came from the Netherlands and settled at New Utrecht, L.I. in 1653. * (Hollanders)

8) The first prison was built inside the fort. * (eonyc)

9) The first poorhouse was erected at 21-23 Beaver street. * (eonyc)

10) The city tavern became the first City Hall . A night watch was created. * (eonyc)

11) It was under Stuyvesant, in 1653, that the town was formally incorporated as a city, with its own local schout and its schepens and burgomasters whose powers and duties answered roughly to those of both aldermen and justices. The schouts, schepens, and burgomasters together formed the legislative council of the city; and they also acted as judges, and saw to the execution of the laws. There was an advisory council as well. * (Bartleby)

12) Fulton Ferry: It is recorded that "on the 10th of October, 1653, an ordinance was passed by the government of New amsterdam, regulating the rates of ferriage at three stivers each for foot passengers, except Indians, who paid six, unless there were two or more." As the Indians were charged more than the pale faces, it is likely that they ferried themselves over when possible, and that thus originated the saying, "Paddle your own canoe." * (B.D.E. 6/17/1872)

13) In 1653 there were seven settlements on western Long Island, viz., Breuckelen (Brooklyn). Midwout (Flatbush), Middle-burgh (Newtown), Heemstede (Hempstead), Amersfoordt (Flatlands) Flushing and Gravesend. Of these Flatbush, which had become a place of fashionable residence, was the largest, while Brooklyn came next in importance. These towns were governed by the director general and his council. * (b.d.e. 10/1/1892)

14) In 1653 the great wall was erected across the island, and stood until 1699, when the increase of population and the scarcity of building room within it forced its demolition. This wall was of earth and palisades, with two gates (or poorts), the so-called land gate in Broadway, corner of Wall street, and the water gate in Wall street, corner of Pearl street, then close to the water. Outside of the wall were six houses and one windmill on the highest land, and inside of it were 114 houses.

15) New Amsterdam was incorporated in 1653, and the beaver, as the appropriate symbol of the source of New Amsterdam's wealth, was selected as a part of the seal of the city. The population of the province was then 2,000, that of New Amsterdam 800; and the population continued to increase rapidly. People of means came from the English colonies and from Holland and made small fortunes out of the river trade in furs and the coastwise trade. * (honysy)

16) Early Long Island was thickly wooded, and its town legislation  showed a rare wisdom in regard to the preservation of its trees. In 1653, " South Old resolved that no persons should cut trees or sell wood from the common lands, without the towne's libertie." *(E.L.I.)

17) The first public school was established in City hall, in 1653.(39)

18) The origin of Wall Street supplies another interesting chapter to the story of New York's old thoroughfares. The wooden wall that was erected along the line to which the name still clings was built in 1653 to protect the town against a threatened invasion of New Englanders, "a lithe, slippery, aggressive race," whom the Dutch looked upon half in fear and half in scorn. The invasion never took place, but the wall remained for nearly half a century and succeeded nobly in keeping the town from growing beyond its useless barrier. (22)

1 6 5 4

1) A French privateer named the "St. Charles" sailed into New Amsterdam harbor with 23 Jews aboard___refugees from Brazil. These were the founders of the first Jewish community in what is today the United States.

2) The first individual Jewish settler, however, was Jacob Barsimson, who had been here for about two weeks when the 23 arrived. He arrived from Holland on July 8, 1654. * (epic)

3) 1654 Brooklyn's first church, Flatbush Dutch Reformed Church, is founded. *(BTL)

4) Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum and Gardens, at Shore Road, Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, N.Y.. On November 14, 1654 Thomas Pell obtained 9000 acres of land from the Sewanae Indians. The original manor house is said to have burned to the ground. The present mansion was built sometime between 1836 and 1842. * (Museums)

5) An orphanage was established in New Amsterdam (now New York City) in June 1654. 50 orphan children were sent from Holland. * (fff)

6) Jan Van Stryker founded the Dutch Colony at Flatbush on L.I. in 1654. He was a magistrate in Flatbush and later Schepen of the Towns of Midwout, Breuckelin, Amersfoort, Utrecht, Boswyck and Gravesend. * (Hollanders)

7) On August 12, 1654 Stuyvesant ordered a thanksgiving because peace had been reached between Holland and England. Men and woman danced around a huge bonfire and guzzled free beer provided by the city fathers. * (eonyc)

8) Coney Island (Conye Islant) is acquired from the Indians by the Town of Gravesend. Brooklyn's first church, Flatbush Dutch Reformed Church, is founded. *(BTL)

9) In 1654 the first church on Long island was built at Midwout or Flatbush, and Domine Johannes Polhemus, was installed at a salary of 600 hundred guilders.

10) The first Rosh-Hashanah service in North America was held on September 12, 1654 when a group of Jewish men met secretly in New York City. * (epic)

11) The beginnings of the first Jewish congregation in North America, Congregation Shearith Israel, go back to shortly after the settlement of the first Jewish pilgrims in 1654, when the Jews, forbidden to hold public religious services, congregated in their homes.* (ajtg)

12) Fulton Ferry: In 1654, an ordinance was passed regulating the rates of ferriage. *(B.D.E. 6/17/1872)

13) In 1654 a ferry was established from Peck slip, in New Amsterdam, the ferry on the Brooklyn shore. At first it was under the city's control, but in 1658 it was leased to a private individual for 300 guilders a year. From the ferry on the Brooklyn side there was a road to Flatbush, which corresponded very nearly with the present lower Fulton street. Up to this time the people of Brooklyn had been without a church or a minister, but in 1654 the Rev. Johannes Theodorus Polhemus came to Flatbush, where a small wooden church had been erected. Dominie Polhemus preached every Sunday morning at Flatbush, and in the afternoons at Brooklyn and Flatlands alternately.* (b.d.e. 10/1/1892)

14) In 1654 the Town of Southold passed a resolution that no person should cut trees or sell wood from the common lands of the town "without the town's liberty." (b.d.e. 8/8/1886)

15) Very early in the planting of Midwout the first Dutch Church on Long Island* was organized, December 17, 1654, and the specifications were given for building a house at Midwout, " sixty feet by twenty, where a chamber eight by fourteen may be
partitioned off in the rear for the preacher, where divine service may be held in the front part until we have more funds and the material necessary for a church has been collected. Then this building shall be used as a parsonage and barn." The church was finally finished at a cost of four thousand six hundred and thirty-seven guilders ($1854.80), of which nearly one-tenth was raised by Flatbush, and the amount made up by Nieuw Amsterdam, Fort Orange, and the West India Company, the source of all unusual supplies to the colony. *(e.l.i.)

16) Brooklyn: New Utrecht was given a Dutch charter in 1654, and in 1655 this town and Flatlands received their English charters. (38)
 

1 6 5 5

1) In November, 1655 Allard Anthony burgomaster and councillar Dr. La Montagne constituted a committee to report upon the work of the surveyors. * (NYS History)

2) The Bancker family belongs to the earliest Dutch settlers in the New World. The first progenitor to emigrate to America was Gerrit Bancker who arrived in New Amsterdam from the Netherlands in 1655. * (Hollanders)

3) In 1655 the first lottery was held. * (eonyc)

4) On February 9, 1655, the Governor of New Amsterdam ordered the people of Brooklyn and Amersfort to assist the people of Midwout or Flatbush in cutting timber to build a house of worship sixty feet in length by thirty-eight in breadth, the whole to be fourteen feet in height below the beams. The cost of the building was 4,637 guilders. * (b.d.e. 8/8/1887)

5) In 1655 Egbert Van Borsum leased the ferry from Governor Stuyvesant (whose perquisite it seems to have been) for 300 guilders per annum, and erected the first ferry house on the Long island Shore. This was known as the Ferry Tavern and appears to have been quite a fashionable resort in its day. * (b.d.e. 5/11/1890)

6) The first privately owned slave-ship to enter New York, so far as can be learned, was the White Horse, which, in command of Jan de Sweerts and Dirck Pietersen, arrived in the spring of 1655, and the best slaves were sold for $125 each. Many of this importation died immediately. * (honysy)

7) Early in the settlement of the town, the inhabitants were much troubled by their fences being stolen at night. In 1655, the Director-General issued a proclamation, twice repeated, setting forth the inconvenience thereof and establishing the penalty - " For
the first offence of being whipped and branded; for the second, of being hanged with a cord until death follow, without favour to any person." *(E.L.I.)

1 6 5 6

1) The first Jewish cemetery in New York City , known by various names: The New Bowery Cemetery, the Oliver Street Cemetery, or the Chatham Square Cemetery, with the last name most common was granted in answer to a petition by Abraham de Lucena, Salvador Dandrada and Jacob Cohen Henricques on behalf of the New Amsterdam Jews. Its history began in 1682, when it became the successor to the ground granted in 1656 to the Jews of Amsterdam by Peter Stuyvesant. The original ground was purchased from William and Margery Merret.

2) In 1656, Domine Johannes Theodorus presided over the church in Flatbush. * (NYS History)

3) When New Amsterdam was first surveyed in 1656 it contained one hundred and twenty houses and one thousand souls. * (History of NYC)

4) The Luyster family belongs among the earliest Dutch settlers in the New World. The first progenitor to arrive in America was Peter Cornelius Luyster, who came from Netherland to New Amsterdam in 1656. * (Hollanders)

5) The first market in New York city was established at Whitehall & Pearl streets. * (eonyc)

6) Rev. Joannes Theodorus Polhemus preached to the people of Flatbush in the year 1656. Mr. Polhemus also preached in Brooklyn on alternate Sundays.* (b.d.e. 8/8/1886)

7) In 1656 the Town of Jamaica imposed a fine of thirty guilders on any who sold strong drink to an Indian. (b.d.e. 8/8/1886)

8) The first notice we find of the Lutherans in New  York is in the Dutch Manuscripts at Albany, in  which, under date of October 24, 1656, appears a. " petition of the Lutherans of New Amsterdam to  be allowed to continue their public worship as;  they expect a minister next spring." * (lcr)

9) In 1656 the first census of the city was taken, and it contained one hundred and twenty houses and one thousand inhabitants. This year the first houses were built in Wall-street, which is now so famous as the great financial street of the city, with its
numerous banks, its Custom House and Exchange. Real estate was not as high then as now. The average price of city lots was fifty dollars. There has been a small advance in real estate since that time. (lcr)

10) The earliest ordinance for the prevention of fires in what is now the City of New York reads as follows:
"Whereas, The Burgomasters of the City of Amsterdam, in the New Netherlands, have observed that within this city there is but little attention paid to the subject of fire and to the necessity of keeping the chimneys clean, in consequence of which there have already occurred several fires, and further dangers are to be apprehended, from the reason that the greater part of the houses in this town are built of wood, and among them some are covered with reeds and have wooden or platted chimneys:

""Therefore have we, with the approbation of the Director-general and Councilors of New Netherlands, appointed as Fire Wardens, Hendrick Hendrickson Kip, Govert Loockerman, and Christian Barents, who are hereby authorized to visit all the houses and chimneys within the city jurisdiction and to perform their duties as Fire Wardens according to the custom of our fatherland. Done this 26th day of February, 1656." (34)

11) In 1656, a market-house was built near the present corner of Pearl and Broad streets; and the city then contained 120 houses, and 1000 inhabitants, including the garrison. (39)

1 6 5 7

A) A log cabin fire prompted New Amsterdam's Dutch colonists to establish a group of eight night watchmen, whose duty was to wander the streets after dark, looking for fires or suspicious individuals. Officially, the watchmen were called the "Rattle Watch" because of the wooden rattles they carried to sound a fire alarm, but the town's people simply referred to them as the
"Prowlers." When the "Prowlers" rattled their alarms, everyone was supposed to come out and help fight the fire. *FDNY

2) Quakers or Society of Friends settled first on Long Island (1657) whence they spread to Manhattan and the Mainland. * (Concise).

3) A plaque in the garden of the Bowne House in Flushing, N.Y. commemorates the Flushing Remonstrance, an appeal dated December 27, 1657, petitioning the governor for liberty of conscience for the Quakers. * (Museums)

4) A fire department had been in existence even before the incorporation of the city, but in 1657, the peril from that source was met by more elaborate precautions hooks, ladders, ropes and leather buckets were provided. * (NYS History)

5) In 1657 Stuyvesant introduced the "Burgher Right" by which the populace was divided into 2 classes, Great and Little Burghers. The former were the landowners and wealthy merchants and the latter had no right to hold office. * (NYS History)

6) The Hoffman family belongs among the earliest Dutch settlers in the New World. The first progenitor to come to America was Martin Hermanzen Hoffman a Native of the Netherland who arrived in 1657 and resided on Lower Broadway, New Amsterdam. * (Hollanders)

7) In 1657 the first half from whitehall street to Broad street was laid with cobblestones. * (eonyc)

8) In 1657 Jacques Cortelyou became the first commuter by traveling daily between the Long Island home & Manhattan. * (eonyc)

9) The Town of New Utrecht is chartered by Jacques Cortelyou.* (BTL)

10) In 1657 burgers were registered. Thus for the first time in the City's history, citizenship became an accomplished legal fact. * (epic)

11) Early in July, 1657, the first Lutheran pastor, John Ernestus Gutwasser arrived on Manhattan Island, to the great joy of the Lutherans.* (olcia)

12) Jacob Kip's house in the city was built in 1657, on a lot purchased by him or 100 guilders (about $35.) It was situated in what was called the "Prince graaft," now known as Exchange street and was also the first who held the office of Clerk of the Municipal authorities of this city. .* (mccny)

13) The Jews had to struggle constantly for virtually every civil and political right and for greater religious freedom. They were at first excluded from standing guard in defense of the town and burdened with a special tax in lieu of the military service. In November 1655, Asser Levy, one of the original 23 settlers and very likely the shohet for the small Jewish community, and Barsimson unable to pay the special tax but willing to stand guard, requested that they be permitted to stand guard. At first, their request was denied, but finally it was granted. Then, on April 11, 1657, Levy asked to be admitted as a burgher. His petition was rejected by the New Amsterdam court. Some of the leaders of the Jewish community: Salvador Dandrada, Jacob Cohen Henricques, Abraham De Lucena, and Joseph d'Acosta, thereupon appealed once more to Stuyvesant, and on April 20, 1657, Stuyvesant and his Council authorized the admission of Jews who lived in New Amsterdam to the rights of burghership. * (ajtg)

14) Broad street, originally the line of a brook or inlet, was called in 1657 the Heeve graft and the Prince graft. The ditch was filled in in 1676 and has been known since as Broad Street.

15) William street, originally called Borger Joris path, 1657; a part was also called in 1657 the glass maker's street, and the suice straat in 1691, King street in 1728 (part), Smith street in 1728, upper part William street, after William Beckman, part King George street in 1755, and all known as William street in 1797.

16) Exchange place, originally Tschaape Waytre, or sheep pasture, in 1657; afterwards Tuyen straat or Garden street in 1691, Church street in 1728, part known as Garden street in 1728, part known as Flatten barrack in 1797, than all known as Garden street, this name being changed after the erection of the exchange in Wall street.

17) The QUAKERS made their appearance before the overthrow of the Dutch power, as early as 1657. This year several of this persuasion arrived from London, two of whom, Mary Witherhead and Dorothy Waugh, were confined in prison for delivering exhortations to the people. Their doctrines were making such fearful progress that the inhabitants of New-Amsterdam became alarmed, and in 1659 appointed a day of prayer that the heresy might spread no further. * (lcr)

18) In 1657 new troubles arose over the appearance of the Quakers, who emigrated from Massachusetts colony to escape Puritan persecution only to find it renewed under Stuyvesant, who succeeded in driving them from his colony. (38)

1 6 5 8

1) A meat market, the first in the city, was established in the same place, Marketfield (Bowling Green) and a shed was erected for the purpose. *(Bwy)

2) In 1658, the inhabitants of Brower Street were directed to pave their street in order to facilitate traffic, as the street was almost impassable. This was the first street in the city that was paved, and in consequence it became known as Stone Street. *(Bwy)

3) Nieuw Haarlem, a village established in 1658 by Peter Stuyvesant and bounded by the Harlem River, Morningside Heights, 110th Street, and 155th Street. * (mcny.org)

4) The first public police force was formed in New Amsterdam. It consisted of ten watchmen who were paid 24 stuyvers (about fifty cents) per night. Their salaries were collected from the townspeople each month, August 12,1658. *(afp.com)

5) The house built of wood, with its wooden chimney and its thatched roof was recognizable as highly combustible. An ordinance of that year required the heads of families to build Chimneys of stone or brick and prohibited roofs of straw or reeds. So from that date may be noted the change in the character of the dwellings of the city and the appearance of houses of some pretension. * (NYS History)

6) Anthony de Mel born in Holland in 1625 came to America with his wife and two children arriving in New Amsterdam on the "De Vergulde Bever" on May 17, 1658 and bought his home and adjoining lands extending from Beaver street to the River. * (Hollanders)

7) A law of 1658 forbade the whipping of negro slaves without permission of the city magistrate.

8) The first coroner's inquest in New York City was held. * (eonyc)

9) Dutch Settlers in New Amsterdam move north on Manhattan Island to found Nieuw Haarlem, today Harlem. *(Bwy)

10) When the colonists were organized in 1658, bucket brigades were formed and equipped with 250 leather buckets made by Dutch shoemakers of the colony. Thus, our first inauspicious beginning was made. Seven years later, in 1664, the colony became a British settlement and was renamed New York.

11) Oyster Bay, village SE. N.Y. on NE Long Island W. of Huntington was settled in 1653. * (C.E.)

12) The Van Vleck family is one of the oldest and most distinguished among the Dutch settlers in America. They descend directly from Tielman Van Vleeck who migrated from Maastricht, Province of Limburg, in the Netherlands to the New World and settled at New Amsterdam in 1658, where he is recorded as practicing Law there. *(Hollanders)

13) A law of 1658 forbade the whipping of Negro slaves without permission of the City magistrates, they enjoyed fairly humane treatment. * (Epic)

14) Stuyvesant promised that when twenty-five families settled in Harlem, he would provide them with a ferry to L.I. and a minister of their own. The first settler broke ground on August 14, 1658 near the foot of 125th street and the Harlem River. * (epic)

15) Nicholas de Meyer: This gentleman was one of the wealthiest citizens of New Amsterdam. The first mention made of him in the public records is in 1658, when he purchased of Jacob Van Couwenhoven "his stone house, mill and lot." De Meyer also owned a farm on the Harlem river, which he had worked by a farmer. His own residence was on Pearl street, near Broad, where he continued to reside for many years. His descendants are numerous in this state.* (mccny)

16) August 12, 1658: The first police force or ratelwacht was formed in New Amsterdam, it consisted of 10 watchmen who were paid 24 stuyvers (about 50 cents) a night, the money collected from the Town's inhabitants each month. Any guard caught sleeping on duty was fined ten stuyvers. Guards were enjoined not to swear, fight or drink. * (eoafd)

17) Perhaps the first hospital in what is now the U.W. was set up in New Amsterdam by a Dr. Varravanger surgeon of the West India Co. It consisted of a clean house with plenty of firewood and  fire and was supervised by a matron. * (eoafd)

18) Fulton Ferry: The ferry became a source of revenue to the city over the river as far back as 1658. It is recorded that "On the 19th of March, 1658, the ferry was put up at auction, and leased to Hermanus Van Bossom for three years at three hundred guilders ($120) a year." Some few years afterward, the ferry lease was mortgaged for fifteen years in order to replenish the exchequer of New Amsterdam. * (B.D.E. 6/17/1872)

19) Fulton Ferry: In 1658 Harmanus Van Bossom hired the ferry from Governor Stuyvesant, at auction, at an annual rent of three hundred guilders, and became the successor of his father Cornelius, who had died a short time before.* (B.D.E. 6/17/1872)

20) The first shipwreck on the coast in the vicinity of Manhattan, of which we have any account, was in December, 1658, when the "Prince Maurice" went ashore about midnight on the south shore of Long Island at a place called Sicktewacky, near Fire Island inlet. The passengers were saved, but the ship was lost. * (honysy)

21) The first school in Flatbush was opened in 1658-9, by Adrian Hegeman. A little later, Johannes van Eckellen, Clerk of the Church, was employed by the Consistory as schoolmaster. *(E.L.I.)

1 6 5 9

1) Another family that has given to Queens a good many useful and prominent citizens came from France. The de Beauvois, or as the name was written later on, the Debevoises, were French Protestants or Huguenots, and had fled to the city of Leyden in the Netherlands when the persecutions of the Protestants began in France. From there the founder of the family in America, Carel de Beauvois, came to New Amsterdam in 1659, accompanied by his wife and three children. He had received a superior education and soon found employment as teacher. In 1661 he became "chorister, reader and schoolmaster" at a salary of twenty-five guilders and free house rent. Later on he served as public secretary or town clerk. Of his descendants many have held high public office, and intermarried with most of the old families who were among the first settlers of the locality.(40)

2) The earliest ancestor of the Banta family in America was Epke Jacobse who arrived in New Amsterdam, in New Netherland from Holland on February 12, 1659 with his wife and children settling at Flushing, north shore of Long Island. * (Hollanders)

3) Jan Meindersen Van Jever emmigrated from the Netherlands and arrived in Neuw Amsterdam in February of 1659.

4) In 1659 the first hospital on Bridge Street was erected. * (eonyc)

5) The first classical elementary school in New Amsterdam was established. * (eoafd)

6) January, 1659: The severity of colonial punishments was demonstrated by an ordinance passed in New Amsterdam. "No person shall strip the fences of posts or rails under penalty for the first offence of being whipped and branded for the second of punishment with the cord, until death ensues." * (eoafd)

7) In 1659 the Town of Huntington resolved that no timber should be cut for sale within three miles of the settlement under a penalty of five shillings for every tree so cut down. At the time of the first settlement of Long island it appears that the western part was almost wholly bare of timber. It was a custom of the Indians to annually burn the wooded lands and thus afford better opportunities for the hunting of deer and other game.*(b.d.e. 8/8/1886)

8) The Jews made their first appearance in 1660, but were denied the rights of citizenship. But about the beginning of the last century they built their first synagogue on what is now South William- street. It was very small. Now they have a number
of splendid synagogues. * (lcr)

9) Another slave-ship, the Oak Tree, owned by the company, sailed in 1659, and her dimensions give an idea of within how small a compass the poor negroes were crowded. She was 120 feet in length, 11 feet draught, 5 to 6 feet free-board, and had a poop-deck. As her ordinary lading was no less than from 350 to 400 slaves, it is no wonder that from 25 to 50 per cent, were expected to die on the voyage. * (honysy)

10)   In 1659, the planters represent their land as insufficient, and petition for a part of the Canarsie Meadows, which was given them. *(E.L.I.)

11) Here is the license for an Inn, entered May 13, 1659: "John Smith, Rock,1 is licensed to keep an ordinary and to sell meat and drink and lodging for strangers with their retinue, both for horse and man and to keep such good order that it may not be
offensive to the laws of God and of this place " ( Book A, p. 54). A high license law had already been passed by the General Town Meeting, November 27, 1658: "It is ordered that any manner of person or persons inhabiting within the town of Hempstede that after the day of the date hereof, shall sell eyther wine, beere, or any manner of drams, or stronge licquors, that they shall make entry of the same unto the Clerck, and shall pay for any kinde of drams or spannish wine, the som of 5 guilders the ancker : for the half satt of strong beere 12 guilders, for the ancker of French wine 3 guilders, one half to be imployed for the provision of amoni-
tion for the use of the town, and the other moytie and half part for the education of poor orphants, or other poore inhabitants children." *(E.L.I.)


1 6 6 0

1) The Rev. Henricus Selyns, a learned and devout young clergyman of a prominent Amsterdam family came to Breuckelen in 1660. At first his parishioners worshipped in a barn, but a meeting-house was soon erected. When Dominie Selyus arrived the population of the village was 134 persons in thirty-one families. * (Historic Towns)

2) A school was started also for the benefit of the children of the settlement which had grown up around Stuyvesant's Bouwery in the neighborhood of 13th street and second avenue. Here also religious services were held in the afternoon of Sundays, the Rev. Henry Selyns who came to Breuckelen in 1660, officiating there, as well as at the Wallabout and Gowanus. * (NYS History)

3) In April, 1660 the "Spotted Cow" brought over two families with seven children and one with eight children. * (NYS History)

4) The Cruiser family belongs among the earliest Dutch Settler in the New World. The first progenitor to arrive in America was Garret Dirksen Croesen (or Cruser) who arrived in New Amsterdam in 1660 where he settled in Gowanus Breuklen. * (Hollanders)

5) Antoine Crispell arrived at New Amsterdam, (now the City of N.Y.) in company with his father -in-law, Matthew Blanchan, on the ship "Gilded Otter" in June of 1660. * (Hollanders)

6) The Elting family belongs among the earliest Dutch Settlers in the New World. The first progenitor who came to America was Jan (Eltinge) Elting born in the Netherlands in 1632. He arrived in New Amsterdam about 1660 and settled on Long Island. * (Hollanders)

G) The first post office was opened. * (eonyc)

7) In 1660 the first city directory was published. * (eonyc)

8) Elias Van Guysling or Gyseling who came from the Netherlands in "De Bonte Koe" and landed at New Amsterdam in 1660.

9) The Van Wyck family descends from Cornelius Barentse Van Wyck one of the first emigrants from the Netherlands who came over in 1660 and settled at Midwout (Flatbush) Long Island. He married Anna Polhemus a daughter of Theodorus Polhemus, the first reformed Minister on Long Island.* (Hollanders)

10) Stephen Coerten Van Voorhees settled in Flatlands, Long island November 29, 1660 where he bought thirty-one margins of land and a house and house-plot in the village of "Amersfoort" with the Brewery brewing apparatus, Kettlehouse and casks. He signed his name "Steven Koertin", also "Steven Koerts." * (Hollanders)

11) On the 22d of December, 1660, a court of justice consisting of a schout and three commissioners, was appointed for the town, with civil and criminal jurisdiction, allowing an appeal in judgments exceeding fifty guilders to the Director General and Council. Of this first court Adrian Hegeman, of Flatbush, was appointed Schout and Jan Tomassen (Van Dyke), Rutgert Joosten (Van Brunt) and Jacob Hellikes Commissioners. * (B.D.E. 10/19/1877

12) Bushwick was founded in 1660.

13) In 1660 Rev. Henricus Selwyn was installed in Brooklyn at a salary of 600 guilders a year, one-half of which was paid by Brooklyn and the other half by the Fatherland or Holland. * (b.d.e. 8/8/1886)

14)Early in 1660, orders were given to palisade the village and to "cut down trees within gun-shot so that men might see afar off."' Great alarm was felt over the menace of the " River Indians," and the Fiscal's house, the only tiled roof in the village, was
fortified as a place of refuge. Soon after, a blockhouse was built for protection against " Indians, pirates and other robbers." The same year, the settlers asked Stuyvesant to appoint a Schout, a Clerk, and an Assessor, with authority to allot the unassigned
lands that they might be enclosed and cultivated. *(E.L.I.)

15) The first map of the city was constructed in 1660, and sent to Holland by Governor Stuyvesant. (39)

1 6 6 1

1) The first permanent white settlement on Staten Island, or the Borough of Richmond as it is officially known, was made by the Dutch in 1661.

2) The Bowne House on Bowne Street at 37th avenue in Flushing, N.Y.. The oldest part of this two-story saltbox was erected in 1661 by John Bowne on land purchased from the Indians ten years earlier. It is considered a shrine to religious freedom. * (Museums)

3) In 1661, Carl De Beauvois an emigrant from Holland of Huguenot extraction was the first schoolmaster of Brooklyn's First school. * (Brooklyn Eagle)

4) Dirck De Wolf having obtained from the Amsterdam Chamber in 1661, the exclusive privilege of making salt for seven years in New Netherland, began its manufacture upon Coney Island, but the Gravesend settlers who claimed the spot arrested the enterprise. * (History of NYC)

5) The Dubois family descends from Louis du Bois (1626-1695) a Huguenot who came from France to America on the St. Jean Baptiste and landed at New Amsterdam in 1661. * (Hollanders)

6) 1661 First free public school opens in Brooklyn, near present site of Fulton and Hoyt Streets.

7) In 1661 the first unemployment relief went into effect. * (eonyc)

8) In 1661 the first law against loan sharks was passed. * (eonyc)

9) The Town of Bushwick (Boswick) is chartered by Governor Pieter Stuyvesant.*(BTL)

10) In 1661 nineteen Dutch and French Settlers, established the first permanent colony on the island near the present site of Fort Wadsworth. They called it Oude Dorp, or Old Town.* (epic)

11) The Dutch settlements were formed into one administrative District in 1661.' Nieuw Amersfoordt and Midwout, which had been united under a single Court, were then separated ; Boswyck and Nieuw Utrecht were annexed, and, with Breuckelen, which
had had the first Court, they formed " The Five Dutch Towns." *(E.L.I.)

12)  school was first opened in the summer of 1661, by Carel de Beauvais, who was not only teacher but messenger of the courts, precentor, bell-ringer, and grave-digger. *(E.L.I.)

13) In 1661, Dirckde Wolf obtained from the Amsterdam Chamber a monopoly of the salt works in Nieuw Nederlandt. The manufacture was carried on at Coney Island, of which he then received a grant. The people of Gravesend claimed the island ' and
forced him to leave, although a body of soldiers had been sent for his protection. *(E.L.I.)

 

Continue on Page 4: (1662-1680)                                                            Return to Table of Contents 1600s

 

 

Home | About This Site | Message Boards | Other Great Links | Contact Us | e-Post Cards

 
 

All Right Reserved

 

Privacy statement | Terms of use