CHRONOLOGY OF NEW YORK CITY'S FACTUAL "FIRST" 1524-1999
Researched and Compiled by Miriam Medina

S    E   C    T    I    O    N

 1    6    6    2    ---    1    6    8    2

*Please note this is a work in progress. New researched information will be added periodically.


1 6 6 2

1) "LEVY, Asser, Van Swellem: One of the earliest Jewish settlers of New Amsterdam. He was the first Jew to own real estate at Albany and in what is now New York City, for he purchased, in 1662, land at what is now South William St. *EOJK

2) The first jail of the English Colonists was in the house of General Brincherhoff at Coenties Slip and Dock Street from 1692 to 1699. Apparently this was the same prison used by the Dutch.

3) The First Presbyterian Church of Jamaica was organized in 1662. Its membership for the most part had come from Halifax, Yorkshire, England. They had settled first in Hempstead, but moved to Jamaica in 1656 .

4) In 1662 in New Amsterdam when the question of the sewing of linen caps was involved the Court appointed "good women" as arbitrators. * (NYS History)

5) Jan Bosch, came to America from Ter Arar near Leyden, Holland in 1662 arriving September 2, on the "Fox" at New Amsterdam.

6) Gideon Merlet, a Huguenot from France emigrated to New Amsterdam with a large group of Huguenots on the ship Purmerland Church in 1662. Gideon Merlet and his sons settled on Staten Island. * (Hollanders)

7) Dirck Storm came from the Netherlands in 1662 on the ship "Fox" and settled in Brooklyn where he served as Secretary of the Colony in 1670 and as town clerk of Flatbush for a number of years. * (Hollanders)

8) The Vandeventer family belongs to the oldest Dutch settlers in America. Several spellings of the name are common, like Vandeventer, Van Deventer, Van Devanter and Van De Venter, but all are from the same stock descendants of Jan Pieterson Van Deventer who came from Holland to America in 1662 and settled in Brooklyn. * (Hollanders)

9) Jochem Engelbert Van Namen came from Heusden, Holland on the ship of "The Hope" which sailed from Amsterdam to New Amsterdam arriving there on April 8, 1662. *(Hollanders)

10) The first progenitor in the New World of the Westervelt family was Lubbert Lubbertsen Van Westervelt who arrived at New Amsterdam on May 24, 1662 on the ship "Hoop" with his wife and his son Roelof. * (Hollander)

11)  In 1662 one Jans made application to the Consistory of the Reformed Dutch church of Brooklyn for permission to inclose the grave of his deceased wife, Magdalen, with a fence. The application was referred to the Rev. Henry Selgus and Deacon Jacob Jorison with instructions to have the burial ground fenced in. Messrs Jorison and Selgus contracted with Jans for seventy guilders to inclose the burial ground with a good clapboard fence five feet high with a front piece for the entrance. The Dutch Church, erected in 1666, was torn down 100 years later, and another church edifice built on its site. The latter stood until 1807, when the church removed to Joralemon street in the rear of the Hall. This edifice, within six months, has also been demolished, and a building erected in which will be exhibited a panoramic view of the Battle of Gettysburgh. The old burying ground attached to the First Dutch Church in Fulton street was used for interment until 1849. On April 23 of that year a city ordinance was passed prohibiting burials within the city limits, and in 1865 the bodies were removed to Greenwood and business buildings erected on the spot.* (B.D.E. 8/29/1886)

12) It appears that on March 18, 1662, an effort was made toward a settlement. On that date Jan Joris Rapelje, Teunis Gysbert (Bogaert), Coneils Jacobsen, Hendrick Sweers, Michael Hans (Bergen), and Jan Jans (Bergen), made a request of the Directors and Governor for "the grant of a parcel of free (unoccupied) woodland, situated in the rear of Joris Rapelje, next to the Old Bay road." This was granted to them, provided that they placed their dwellings "within one or the other concentration, which would suit them best, but not to make a hamlet." By this they obtained twenty morgens (about forty acres) apiece at Bedford. * (b.d.e.9/25/1887)

13) In 1662, a windmill was erected, near the present City Hotel. (39)


1 6 6 3

1) The Billiou-Stillwell-Perine House at 1476 Richmond Road Staten Island, N.Y. It was built by Pierre Billiou in 1663 on property he acquired under a Dutch patent granted two years earlier. Billiou headed the first permanent settlement on Staten Island. * (Museums)

2
) David Des Marest a French Huguenot, born in France in 1620, who came to this country from Amsterdam. The Netherlands on the ship "Bonte Koe" or "Spotted Cow". He arrived and settled with the Huguenot colony on Staten Island on April 16, 1663. * (Hollanders)

3) The Bogert family belongs to the earliest Dutch Settlers in America. They descend from Jan Louwe Bogert, from Schoonderwoerd, Holland, who came here in 1663 and settled in Bedford, Long Island, N.Y. * (Hollanders)

4) In 1663 the city experienced its first recorded earthquake. * (eonyc)

5) The Van Pelt family descends from Teunis Van Pelt Who came to New Utrecht (now Brooklyn, N.Y.) in 1663 as the leader of a group of 72 emigrants from Holland. *(Hollander)

6) Jan Otto Van Tuyl arrived in New Amsterdam with his wife and child (2 years old) on "De Bonte Koe in 1663. * (Hollander)

7) In 1663, Hendrick Claesen and other Walloons in Nieuw Utrecht asked permission to settle at T Waale-Boght.*(E.L.I.)

8) Captain Richard Bettes: One of the most important personages in the early history of Newtown was Captain Richard Betts whose services are mentioned on nearly every page of the records for almost fifty years. He took a prominent part in the revolution of 1663, for he was a bitter opponent of Governor Stuyvesant and administered a severe blow to him by purchasing from the Indians the land the settlers at Newtown had planted, and for which Stuyvesant refused to give them patents. After the conquest of New Netherland by the English Betts was a member of the first provincial assembly which met at Hempstead. In 1678 he was appointed high sheriff of the county of Yorkshire upon Long Island. For a long series of years the captain was a magistrate, and more
than once a member of the High Court of Assize, then the supreme power in the province. He became an extensive landholder at the English Kills and lived in a house that for centuries after his death was known as the old Betts house. It is told of him that in his one hundredth year he dug his own grave within sight of his bedroom window. *(40)

1 6 6 4

1) English seize New Netherland for the Duke of York (later James II); renamed New York; New Amsterdam became New York; Dutch encouraged to stay on. *(Bwy)

2) The first serious attempt to regulate formally the practice of medicine followed soon after the occupation of the province by the English in 1664. *NYS History.

3) In 1664 Major John Scott came to Long Island with some royal authority and formed a combination of the English's villages--Hempstead, Gravesend, Flushing, Newtown, Jamaica, and Oyster Bay--with himself as president. *(NYS History) Vol. I

4) In February of 1664 Paulus Leendersen Van die Gist and Cornelius Steenwyck had become burgomasters.

5) Thus in 1664 counting Harlem also, the gospel was dispensed simultaneously at 3 different localities in Manhattan. * (NYS History)

6) The first organized sport in America, horse racing begins when the first English Governor of N.Y. Richard Nicoles, established the Newmarket course at Hempstead Plains, close to the present site of Roosevelt raceway 1664.

7) In 1664 Mrs. Van Rensselaer states, Wolfert Webber built his Tavern on a small hill near the present Chatham Square.

8) The 6th day of December, 1664, may be set down as the date when "The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew in the City of New York" came into legal existence. * (olcia)

9) The emergence of the Renaissance style in Dutch colonial houses at New Amsterdam was noted by contemporary observers. The Renaissance style was characterized by the adaptation of architectural elements from Roman Antiquity. The Dutch influence continued to prevail after the colony, became New York. * (eoafd)

10) The English settled on the island in Stuyvesant's time and finally, in 1664, it came with other Dutch possessions under the British rule of Governor Nicolls, his first act being the capture of a block house on Staten Island. The setting off of the island from New Jersey was due partly to the difficulty of collecting the taxes; the Duke of York, to whom his brother, the King, had previously given New York, on this account decided in 1668 that all islands in the harbor, that could be circumnavigated in twenty-four hours should belong to New York, otherwise to New Jersey. Captain Billopp successfully accomplished the feat in the prescribed time and the island was adjudged to New York. A tract of land was awarded to him and he established the manor of Bentley, at what is now Tottenville. New Jersey disputed this decision and the question was satisfactorily settled only in 1833. In 1673 the island was retaken by the Dutch, but was finally restored to the English on February 9, 1674. In 1679, the Labadists visited the island, and it is from them that so much of the everyday life of the colonists is known. The island was made into Richmond County in 1683; in 1688 it was divided into the towns of Northfield, Southfield, Westfield and Castleton; Middletown was established in 1860. Cucklestowne, now Richmond, was made the county seat in 1729. * (histguide)

11) The English colonists from New England gradually encroached upon the Dutch settlements. There were many disputes between the English and Dutch inhabitants of Long island, which finally led to an open quarrel between the two governments. On the 8th of September, 1664, the English took possession of New Amsterdam, changing its name to New York. The manners of the people of New Amsterdam differed widely from those of their New England neighbors. The houses were built of wood, with the gable ends made of small black or yellow brick brought from Holland. The windows were small and the doors large, the roofs were tiled or shingled and surmounted by a weather cock. Carpets were unknown. Slavery was introduced into the colony, and became very common because it was so profitable.* (b.d.e. 10/1/1892)

12) On May 15, 1664, Governor Stuyvesant granted to Thomas Lamberts a parcel of land lying in the Waalbogt "within the limits of a certain village known by the name of New Bedford, Long Island, containing forty acres, lying south of Jan Laurensen's, and north of Michael Hans' (Bergen) land. * (b.d.e.9/25/1887)

13) Thomas Delavall, Mayor in 1666-71-78. Captain Delavall became first known as a resident here after the capture by the English in 1664. He was then a Captain in the English service, and probably came with Col. Nichols as an officer of his forces; but it would seem that he had before that time been in America, as we find some transactions of his with the inhabitants, which took place prior to the year 1664. Captain Delavall immediately after the surrender of the place to the English, took a prominent part in the administration of the government, both in military and civil affairs. In the year 1666, he purchased a country seat of about 30 acres at Harlem, and soon after acquired the whole, or a great part, of Great Barn Island, (then called Barent's Island,) at Hell-gate. He afterward purchased about seven acres of land, upon which was a cherry orchard, near the present Franklin square; Cherry street derives its name from this orchard. The price paid for this land, which was sold at public auction, was 160 guilders (about 50 dollars.) * (man1853)

14)  The Records of 1664 give the sentence of Jan Willemsen van Iselsteyn, commonly called Jan van Leyden, for using " abusive
language," and for writing "an insolent letter" to the authorities of Bushwick. He was " to be bound to the stake at the place of public execution, with a bridle in his mouth, rods under his arms, and a paper on his breast with the inscription - ' Lampoon-riter,
False Accuser, Defamer of Magistrates," and to be banished, with costs."*( E.L.I.)

15) The first mayor, after the conquest, (1664) was Thomas Willet, Esq., a respectable merchant of that day, who usually resided at Swanzey, at the head of Narraganset Bay, who had trading-houses established from kennebec to the Delaware; and particularly at New Amsterdam, (New York,) and Fort Orange, (Albany.) (39)

1 6 6 5

1) New York 1st governor, Richard Nicolls, provides charter for municipal government for New York City.

2) During June 1665, the Dutch form of government was replaced by the English and from thenceforth the town officers were to consist of a mayor, five aldermen and a sheriff. Thomas Willelt was made mayor. * (NYS History)

3) The trial for witchcraft in October of 1665, held at Court of Assize of N.Y. of Ralph and Mary Hall. The prisoners were from Seatalcott or Brookhaven, Long Island and were charged with having procured the deaths of one George Wood and the infant child of Ann Rogers, the widow of Wood by the employment of certain wicked arts. A first. * (NYS History)

4) In 1665 a man and wife were arraigned and tried as witches, and a special verdict of guilty was brought in by the jury against one of them. * (cdony)

5) Organization of the Court under the English Town Sergeants Claes Van Elsland and Pieter Schabank continued in office. * (32)

6) The City Court Records to be kept in English and Dutch by Nicholas Bayard Clerk. *(32)

7) Jurors first sit in trying causes in the Courts of New York. *(32)

8) A City Watch of six citizens established.* (32)

9)  Three Fire wardens appointed. *(32)

1 6 6 6

1) On October 6, 1666 Thomas Pell was granted a royal patent from the Duke of York. * (Museums)

2) In 1666 the first church in Breuckelen (Brooklyn) was completed situated on what is now Fulton Street. * (eafd)

3) On February 16, 1666, a patent was obtained from Governor Nicoll confirming the purchase of land by the inhabitants. It was in the usual form, and was made to John Lawrence, Richard Cornell, Charles Bridges, William Lawrence, Robert Terry, William Noble, John Forbush, Elias Doughty, Robert Field, Edward Farrington, John Mastor, Anthony Field, Philip Udall, Thomas Stiles, Benjamin Field, William Pidgeon, John Adams, John Hinchman, Nicholas Parcell, Tobias Feeks and John Bowne in behalf of themselves and their associates. many of their descendants are living in Flushing to day. * (B.D.E. 5/20/1894)

4) Excise on Cider established. *(32)

1 6 6 7

1) Garret Dirksen Croesen (or Cruser) received a grant of 100 acres on the North Shore of Staten Island, New York in 1667. *(Hollanders)

1 6 6 8

1) At Garretsons in Staten Island, is the Perine home, erected in 1668, by one of the Huguenot settlers, whose descendants still hold it. * (NYS History) Vol. I

2) America's first sports trophy, a silver porringer wrought by Peta van Inburg, was presented to the winner of a horse race at the Newmarket Course at Hempstead Plains, L.I. * (eoafd)

3) On the 17th of December, 1668, just in time for a good, old fashioned celebration of the holidays, Thomas Lamberts obtained a license from Governor Lovelace, to sell beer, wine and other liquors, and to keep an ordinary for the accommodation of strangers. * (b.d.e.9/25/1887)

4) At the time of the first settlement there was little or no underbush on Long island. Large trees were very scarce and in 1668 the magistrates of the Town of Huntington ordered that no timber be cut within three miles of the settlement. From the year 1660 to 1664 other neighboring towns passed similar resolutions.* (b.d.e. 8/8/1886).

5) Joannes Megapolensis was a minister in the Dutch Church on Long island. (b.d.e. 8/8/1886)

6) Two militia companies organized on occasion of the departure of Col Richard Nichols. *(32)

7) Soldiers pay ordered to be collected from the Citizens. *(32)

8) Ordinance against erecting hog pens and privies in the streets.*(32)

1 6 6 9

1) A silver mace and seven gowns presented with an autograph letter from his Royal Highness the Duke of York to the Mayor and Aldermen. *(32)

2) The Governor announces his intention to build a tavern for the improvement of the City, on the opposite side of the lane adjacent to the City Hall on condition that he may have a door to go from the upper part of the house into the Court Chamber which was agreed to on the part of the City. *(32)

3)  Branders of Cattle, their fees settled. *(32)

4) The overseers of streets have a master carpenter appointed to assist them. *(32)

1 6 7 0

1) Daniel Denton, an Englishman wrote a book called "A brief description of New York, formerly called New Netherland With The Places Thereinto Adjoyning" Published in London in 1670, it was the first printed description of the City in the English language. * (epic)

2) In 1670 the Indians still claimed a title to the land about Bedford, and accordingly Macchiell Bainelle, Thomas Lambertse, John Lewis and Peter Darmentier, on behalf of themselves and the inhabitants of Breuckelen, having obtained the permission of the Royal Governor, Lovelace, purchased the territory from Peter, Elmohan, Job, Makaquiguas and Shamese, who were then the sachems of the Canarsies..* (b.d.e. 9/25/1877)

3) In 1670 the inhabitants agreed to give the sum of 40 guilders each toward erecting a meeting house, the same to be paid "half in corn and half in cattle." * (b.d.e. 8/8/1886).

4) The corner "waal" or wharf facing of the River shore to be constructed opposite " the house of Long Mary ." *(32)

5) The carriage road between this City and Harlem ordered to be laid out anew and a good wagon path to be constructed. *(32)

1 6 7 1

1) The first meeting of the Society of Friends to be held under a roof in New York City took place in an inn. * (NYS History) Vol: V

1 6 7 2

1) George Fox, founder of the Quaker faith, preached outside the Bowne House at 37th avenue in Flushing, N.Y. on June 7, 1672.

2) In 1672 George Fox, the celebrated Quaker, came to America and in the course of his travels, visited Flushing several times. At that early day, there being no church large enough to hold his hearers, he discoursed under two enormous white oaks that stood on what is now Bowne avenue, near the house built by John Bowne eleven years before, and directly in front of the premises of Village Trustee James A. Renwick, who has named his homestead Fox Oaks. A little monument now marks the exact spot where stood the largest tree. * (B.D.E. 5/20/1894)

3) It was in 1672 that that immortal zealot George Fox, came to Flushing, sent by Penn, who saw among the Long islanders, many of them, for conscience sake self-exiled from England, a promising field for the simple faith of the Friends. John Bowne, a well to do tradesman, was his first convert. Fox made Bowne's house his home during his stay in Flushing, and in one corner of it is still shown the lounge on which he rested after his impassioned outpourings in the open air. Later Bowne's indiscreet hospitality led to his banishment to Holland, but he turned his punishment to good effect by pleading the cause of the Quakers and returning with an order for the tolerance of the persecuted people.

4) In 1672 the first Friend preached in New York, and the following year the post rider began his trips to and from Boston, once in three weeks. In July of the same year the Dutch retook the city, but the next year it was restored to the Ebnglish. The commander fo the fort at the time of the surrender to the Dutch was tried for treachery and had his sword broken over his head, just for a little thing like surrendering to the enemy without firing a shot.* (cdony)

5) Matthias Nicoll: Mayor in 1672. In 1672, he was appointed by the Governor to the office of Mayor, which he held for one year. In 1683 he was appointed one of the Judges of the Supreme Court, in which capacity he officiated for the last time in Queens county September 12, 1687. * (man1853)

1 6 7 3

1) New York City Jews held their first public service in 1673 on Beaver Street in a rented room. * (epic)

2) October 16, 1673, Governor Colve issued a proclamation stating that " Fort Willem Hendrick and the City of New Orange on
Manhattan Island were seriously encumbered and weakened by the houses, gardens and orchards which lie so close under its walls and bulwarks that it is impossible to defend it properly when occasion requires against its enemies, unless at least some of these houses, lots and orchards be demolished and removed." It was therefore ordered that certain property owners, who were named, should remove their houses to other lots shown to them by the Burgomasters, and that indemnity should be given to pay expense of removal. * (lcr)

3)  In July, 1673, a Dutch squadron, under command of Admirals Evertsen and Binckes, appeared off New York and forced the surrender of the old fort. They inaugurated a new Dutch government under Captain Anthony Colve, which continued but a year and a quarter, when under a new treaty the colony was surrendered by the Dutch to Sir Edmund Andrus, the British representative, who was succeeded shortly in command by Thomas Dongan, the author of the Dongan Charter, much of which has come down to our day. Governor Dongan's rule was signalized by the granting of the "Duke's Charter," in 1683, which was repealed two years later. This granted four great reforms equal taxation, trial by jury, the obligation of military duty and freedom of religion to all Christians. (38)

4) In 1673, the first post-rider began his trips to and from Boston, once in three weeks. In July of this year, the Dutch retool the city, and the fort was surrendered by Captain Manning, its commander, without firing a shot, and Antonio Colves was appointed governor; but, in the next year, it was restored to the English, and Manning was tried by a court-martial for treachery and cowardice, and sentenced to have his sword broke over his head. (39)

5) The tavern on Church Lane became in 1673 the first halting-place of the monthly mail established between New York and Boston by way of Harlem, but it was not until a century later that the eastern post-road was opened, and mail-coaches went through once a week, pausing for refreshment at Harlem. *(41)

1 6  7 4

1)Broadway, originally the principal road through the island, was called the great highway in 1674. It extended originally only as far as the (City Hall) park, thence followed the line of the present Park Row (formerly Chatham street) and was extended beyond the park after the Revolution, the upper part then being known as Great George street. All of it was called Broadway in 1797.

2) In 1674 the Town of Jamaica resolved that every male inhabitant upward of 16 years of age, at a time appointed for that purpose, should, two days in the year, cut down underbrush about the town. It would appear that the resolution passed some years previous prohibiting the cutting of timber had borne fruit. The underbrush was cut so as to provide pasture land for cattle. * (b.d.e. 8/8/1886).

3) In 1674 Nicholas de Meyer, Mayor, established the first valuation of citizens' holdings and laid the first tax, and from then to this day "kickers" and evaders have flourished. The name of Thomas Lewis, an Irishman, is found in the records for this year. He was one of four who mingled with the Dutch in New Amsterdam, and was seventeenth in a list of inhabitants recorded in the order of their wealth. He was worth 6,000 florins, and had real estate. (cdony)

4) Francis Bloodgood: One of the oldest families in Queens are the Bloodgoods. Francis Bloctgoct, from whom the family descends, which has changed the name, was one of the first settlers of Flushing. In 1674 he was recognized by the Dutch authorities as "chief of the inhabitants of the Dutch nation residing in the villages of Vlissingen, Heemstede, Rudsdorp and Middleborg," and was made
their military commander, being ordered to march with them toward the city should a hostile fleet appear in the Sound. Previous to this he had already been appointed a magistrate, and he served also as a member of the privy council which advised with the governor on the surrender of the territory to the English. In addition he acted as one of the commissioners who visited the Swedish settlement on the Delaware which was later destroyed by the Dutch under Stuyvesant with an exhibition of cruelty quite uncalled for, because it had become a dangerous rival in the fur trade. Of the immediate descendants of Francis Bloctgoct or Bloodgood nothing is known with any degree of accuracy, but one of his grandsons, Abraham, became a prominent merchant in Albany, where he served for years as councilman, was a member of the convention that accepted the Constitution of the United States on behalf of the state of New York, and one of the ten men who founded the Democratic party of New York State in the old Vanden Heyden house at Albany. *(40)

1 6 7 5

1) Pieterse Lefferts settled in Flatbush, N.Y. in 1675. * (Museums)

2) First Presbyterian Church of Smithtown, L.I. (Dr. James W. Hulsey) pastor organized in 1675.

3) At a towne meeting John Bird (Bud) desired a lot in the town, he being a blacksmith the town did agree that the said Bird should have a lott in the towne provided he would supply the town with his work. In those old times skilled labor was at a premium, and drones or ornamental characters at a discount. John, Sr., was living at Southold as a freeman of Connecticut; he was also a lieutenant in 1661; representative for Greenwich in 1664.  *(24)

4) In 1675, with Edmund Andros Governor and William Duvall Mayor, a Court of Sessions was established; no liquors were to be sold to the Indians (for divers reasons), English weights and measures were established, rates were levied for the support of the ministry, and "all persons on Long Island of an estate worth from L20 to L100 may keep one breeding mare and no more; and so for every L100 one, but as many working geldings as wanted." Magistrates were told to do justice to Indians as well as Christians! * (cdony)

5) From the following regulation passed by the Council in 1675 we trace the present law of property condemnation for the purpose of improving the city: "Ordered, that the land in this city convenient to build on, if the parties who own the same do not speedily build thereon, their land may be valued and sold to those who are willing to build." Streets were to be cleaned every Saturday, or oftener, and cartmen forfeited their licenses if the dirt was not carried away. A public slaughter-house was ordered built out side the gate of the city. * (cdony)

6) The first auctioneer in the city was Adolphe Peterson, who was ordered to sell four lots, containing 25 feet each in front, English measure, at a vendue or outcry. * (cdony)

7) Thursday was appointed as a market day. In 1675, a yearly fair, or Kermiss, for sale or barter of " all grayne, cattle or other produce of the country," was appointed to be held during the first week in November.*(E.L.I.)

8) In 1675, the streets were to be cleaned every Saturday, or oftener, and cartmen obliged to carry away the dirt, or forfeit their license. (39)


1 6 7 6

1) In 1676 the Great Dock was constructed along Water street from Whitehall slip to Coenties Slip. * (epic)

2) In 1676 the first street paving was done. The Heeren Gracht, or Broad street, was filled up and leveled. There were no asphalt companies then. With an eye to protection of home industries, the Governor, in consequence of a representation that wheat was lower in New York than in the neighboring colonies, fixed its price at 5 shillings a bushel for winter yield and 4s 6d. for summer.* (cdony)

3. In 1676, the land in and about Bedford was bought of the Indians for "100 guilders seavvant ; half a tun good beer; 3 guns, long barrells, each with a pound of powder and lead proportional to a gun, and 4 matchcoats." Thus, the country was filling up, and the time approaching for the coalescence of the scattered hamlets. *(E.L.I.)

4. In 1676 a law was passed providing for paving some of the principal streets. That now known as Whitehall-street was the first to receive this attention. Soon after the great canal was ordered to be filled up, and changed to a street, and named Broad-street, which was also immediately paved. Previous to this the water had come up to Garden-street, (now Exchange Place,) and the ferry-boats landed their passengers near the upper part of the canal. A few years after, a street was opened between this and Broadway, called New-street, by Adrian Waters, for which contribution to the public interest he was exempted from paying taxes for six years. " Beaver graft" was also doomed to the same treatment that had been awarded to "de Heere graft," and the road in the Smith's " Vley was regulated and paved as a street of the city. (37)

5) In 1676 it was decreed that henceforth a watch be set at 8 o'clock, and the watchmen were forbidden to "sweare, drinke, or game" while on duty. The gates were locked at 9 o'clock, and opened "presently after day light." (NYT 8/28/1870.

1 6 7 7

1) Public wells, two of which were in the middle of Broadway, were established for the better protection of the city in case of fire.
*(Bwy)

2) In 1677 Stephanus Van Courtlandt became Mayor, and the first tax rate for defraying and discharging city debts, incurred for building docks, bridges, etc., was levied on 384 houses and 40 vacant lots, and at the same meeting the Council queried: "Whether attorneys are thought useful to plead in courts or not?" Answer: "It is thought not." Whereupon, resolved and ordered, "that pleading attorneys be no longer allowed to practice in the government, excepting in the depending cases." This was dated May 19. * (cdony)

3) The New Utrecht (Dutch) Reformed Church was organized in 1677, the original structure was octagonal, and stood on the site of the present Metropolitan Baptist Church off 16th Avenue and 84th Street. Along its side between 84th and 85th Streets is the New Utrecht Dutch Reformed Cemetery where many of Brooklyn's first and prominent families are laid to rest.

4) The first progenitor of the Van Saun Family was Jacob Van Zauen or Zouwen, emigrated to America in 1677 where he settled at New Amsterdam. * (Hollanders)

5) In 1677 Governor Andros ordered work begun on the first insane asylum in the province of New York. * (epic)

6) The list of the Bedford communicants in 1677 was as follows: Thomas Lamhertsz and Jannetje Jurinans, his wife; Jacob Hansz Bergen and Jannetje Teunis, his wife; Dirk Paulus and Jannetje, his wife; Lysbeth Thomas; Maria Storm; Hendrickje Johannis; Hendrik Clanz; Jacob Joris and Lysheth Thomas, his wife; William Jorisz and Hendrikje Johannes, his wife; Hendrik Jimensz; John Gerritz ad Anna Rems, his wife; Teunis Janz and Barbara Lucas, his wife; Styntje Gerris; Hans Teunisz and Marritze Teunisz, his wife; Lucas Teunisz; Marritz Teunisz;___Paulus and Lysboth Paulus, his wife;Mallhya; Bourgen Broneard and Catherine, his wife. It will be noted that the names of Lysbeth Thomas, Hendrikje Johannes and Marritze Tounisz are duplicated, being all given separately and as married women. This may possibly be an accidental duplication on the record, or it may be an actual duplication of individuals. * (b.d.e. 9/25/1887)

1 6 7 8

1) In 1678 Governor Andros granted a few leading citizens the exclusive right to bolt all flour and bake all bread and hardtack. Bolting means sifting with a cloth screen or sieve. * (epic)

2) A curious law respecting the Indians is found upon the records of 1678. Hitherto, the Indians had been free, with the exception of a few slaves that had been brought into the province from the Massachusetts Bay colony. It was now enacted that all Indians who should come or be brought into the province for the next six months, should be sold for the benefit of the government. A lack of negro slaves was probably the cause of the enactment of this ordinance. The slave trade had long been regarded as a legitimate branch of commerce, and there was scarcely a household in the city that was not provided with from one to a dozen negroes; yet the demand increased with the increase of the settlement, and the supply was found to be insufficient. * (hocny)

3) The province of New York about the year 1678 contained twenty-four towns, villages and parishes. The city of New York had 3,430 inhabitants, and owned only three ships, eight sloops and seven boats. All the estates in the colony were valued at 150,000.* (owc)

4) Thomas Delaval was Mayor in 1678. * (cdony)

1 6 7 9

1) In 1679 a decree by Governor Andros. In Dutch days the streets were never lighted at night. Governor Andros decreed that on moonless nights every seventh house must display a lantern containing a lighted candle. * (epic)

2) Francis Rombolt was Mayor in 1679. * (cdony)

1 6 8 0

1) Lambert Janse Dorlandt was granted in 1680 a tract of land on Staten Island by order of the English governor, Sir Edmund Andros and held the office of Colonial Assemblyman of the Province of N.Y. from Richmond County in 1681-2. * (Hollanders)

2) 1680 Sept 13 John Ingersole, The son of John Ingersole, of Huntington, on Long Island, was borne ye eleventh of May, 1674.

1 6 8 2

1) In 1682 the Town of Hempstead agreed to give Jeremiah Hobart, its minister, the use of the parsonage and three or four acres of land, the use of the common for his cattle, and to give him one hundred acres of land when he chose to take it, and a yearly salary of L66, 14 shillings, payable in corn and cattle.* (b.d.e. 8/8/1886)

Continue on Page 5: (1683-1699)                                                                   Return to Table of Contents 1600s

 

Home | About This Site | Message Boards | Other Great Links | Contact Us | e-Post Cards

 
 

All Right Reserved

 

Privacy statement | Terms of use