CHRONOLOGY OF NEW YORK CITY'S FACTUAL
Researched and Compiled by Miriam Medina
SOURCE OF INFORMATION FOR THE 1800S
1) * (bwy) The Greatest Street in the World (The story of
Broadway, old and New, from the Bowling Green to Albany)
Author: Stephen Jenkins Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons-New
York and London The Knickerbocker Press Copyright: 1911
2)* (NYS History) History of New York State 1523-1927, Lewis
Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, Volumes: I and
V (1927) Dr. James Sullivan.
3) * (fff) Joseph Nathan Kane "Famous First Facts" (5th
edition) The H.W. Wilson Company-N.Y. (1997)
4) * (n.i.e.) The New International Encyclopedia; Dodd, Mead
and Company-New York Total of 21 volumes; 1902-1905
5) *(eojk) "The Encyclopedia of Jewish Knowledge (in one
volume) Edited by: Jacob De Haas (in collaboration with more
than one hundred and fifty scholars and specialists)
Publisher: Behrman's Jewish Book House-New York Copyright:
6) * (old merchants) The Old Merchants of New York City,
Carleton,New York City (1863) Walter Barrett.
7) * (century) The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia In Ten
Volumes, The Century Company-New York (1889)
8) * (Epic) The Epic of New York City, a Narrative History.
Edward Robb Ellis. Old Town Books-New York. Copyright: 1966
9) *C.E. The Columbia Encyclopedia Third Edition
edited by William Bridgwater and Seymour Kurtz Publisher:
Columbia University Press-New York (1968)
10. *(fifth) Fifth Avenue A Very Social History, by Kate
Simon; Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc.(1978)
11. * (concise) Concise Dictionary of American History.
Publisher: Charles Scribner's Sons___New York. Copyright:
1940, 1962 Charles Scribner's.
12. * (gaslight) New York By Sunlight and Gaslight; by James
Dabney McCabe; Philadelphia, Pa. Hubbard Brothers, 1882.
13. * (TOH )Timetables of History
14. * (Polks) Polk's Medical Register and Directory of North
America. 1914-1915. Thirteenth Revised Edition Publisher:
R. L. Polk & Co., Publishers-Detroit, New York, Chicago.
15. * (Long Island Sound) Long Island Sound, Fessenden
S.Blanchard; D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc. Princeton, New
16. * (generals) Generals in Blue Lives of the Union
Commanders, Ezra Warner; Louisiana State University Press,
Baton Rouge-Louisiana (1964)
17. * (FTW) Fare Thee Well
18. * * (nyges) New York, A Guide to the Empire State:
Compiled by workers of the Writers' Program of the Work
Projects Administration in the State of New York .Oxford
University press-N.Y. (1940)
19. * (1865 mocny) Manual of the Corporation of the City of
New York by D.T. Valentine, 1865 Edmund Jones & Company,
20)* (docb) Dictionary of Catholic Biography by John J.
Delaney and James Edward Tobin; Doubleday & Co., Inc.(1961).
21) * (hocadnyc) A History of the Churches of all
Denominations in the City of New York; from the First
Settlement to the year 1850; New York: E. French, 1850.
(22)*(presby) The Presbyterian Church in New York City by
Theodore Fiske Savage published by the Presbytery of New
23) * (borobx) The Great North Side; or; Borough of the
Bronx, New York, Anonymous; New York, Knickerbocker Press,
24) * (jama) Survey of Jamaica : borough of Queens, New York
City. New York: Jamaica Board of Trade, 1920, 34 pgs.
25) * (histnyc) History of New York City From the Discovery
to the Present Day; Virtue & Yorston-New York 1872.
26) * (round) Round Manhattan's rim: by Helen Worden,
Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, 1934.
27) * (wonders) Wonders of a Great City; or; The sights,
secrets and sins of New York; being a wonderful portrayal of
the Varied Phases of Life in the Greatest City of America.
by Matthew Hale Smith Chicago, People's Pub. Co.,1887
28) * Brooklyn Daily Eagle 12/16/1868
29) * Brooklyn Daily Eagle 6/19/1900
Return to Table
of Contents 1800s
Back to "Factual First" Main Directory