Bookmark This Section


Close Window


Print This Page




















Definition of Riot, Mob and Crowd

Understanding Causes and Consequences of Riots
The Negro Riot of 1712

The New York Conspiracy-1741

The Riot of 1764 and The Stamp Act Riot-1765

The Liberty Pole Struggle and Riot 1766-1776

The Doctor's Riot 1788

The Whorehouse Riots of 1793

The New York Stonecutters Riot Against Prison Labor and The Election Riot of 1834

Abolition Riots 1834-1836

The Bread Riot of 1837 and The South Ferry Riot of 1846

A Serious Riot in Williamsburg City 1853 and A Riot in Brooklyn City 1853

The Firemen's Riot 1853 and The Angel Gabriel Riot 1854

The Irish and Know Nothing's Riot 1854

The Riot After Bill Poole's Funeral 1855

View Source Of Articles Here


The American Museum of Natural History incorporated in New York City in 1869 to promote the study of natural science & related subjects.



A Serious Riot in Williamsburg City 1853 and A Riot in Brooklyn City 1853

QUITE A RIOT TOOK PLACE on Saturday morning, about one o'clock, on the corner of Grand and First Streets, in which there were nearly one hundred and fifty persons engaged, which originated in the following manner.

1 It seems that six Irishmen were engaged in conversation on the corner of Grand and First streets, when two men, who were coming down Grand street, ran against them, when some words passing between them, the Irishmen were attacked, and being the strongest in numbers beat one of the men quite seriously. An outcry was made, when a large number of the friends of the two men came to their assistance.

The Irishmen made their escape through a half-way adjoining Peter Quinn's porter-house, in First street. Officers McElroy, Armstrong and Sands, of the First Ward and Walsh and Bennett, of the second ward, arrived at this time, when the mob (supposing that these men had taken refuge in Quinn's house) were battering in the doors with stones. The officers endeavored to protect the house from assault, but could not maintain their position without imminent danger of their lives. After the mob succeeded in getting the door open, stones were thrown into the room, some of them weighing ten or twelve pounds. Mrs. Quinn was struck in the left side with a stone, by which she was considerably injured. Mr. Quinn was also struck in the breast by a stone. 

A large mirror standing at the back of the bar, and considerable glass, were also broken. At this time Mr. Quinn discharged a gun, when the mob made another rush for the door with knives, cart rungs and stones, but were kept in check by the Policemen, who stood in front of the doorway, determined to keep them back: and Captain Hunt of the Second Ward, arriving with a posse of Policemen, put an end to the disturbance, and probably prevented the loss of life, as the persons in the house were armed with four muskets, having bayonets upon them, and were determined to defend themselves in case the mob gained admittance. Officer Armstrong was struck upon the shoulder with a cart-rung, and Officer McElroy received a blow from a stone, but luckily escaped without injury.

2 A Riot in Brooklyn City  May 17, 1853

Late on Sunday night a party of Irishmen, numbering between one and two hundred, made an unprovoked attack upon the house of John Kelly, in Mill-street, near Smith, breaking in the windows and maltreating the inmates. Thence they proceeded to the store and dwelling of Andros Brickman, corner of Church and Smith-streets, which they served in the same manner;
thence to the house of Mr. Ferral, corner of Centre and Court-streets. While engaged in demolishing the windows of this house, a posse of the Third District Police, under Assistant Captain Oswald, came in sight, when the rioters started down Mill street, and a large number took refuge in the house kept by James Cody, in that street.

The doors of this house were barricaded; the lives of the officers threatened if they attempted to make an arrest. This did not deter them, however, as they effected an entrance and succeeded in capturing five of the rioters, the balance escaping through the back yard. Four others were soon after arrested, and on the way to the station-house an attempt at rescue was made, and a general fight ensued between the officers and rioters, during which officers Russell and Carey, of the Third District, and Deputy sheriff John Friend, were severely injured, one of the officers, (Carey) it is feared, seriously.

Stones and clubs were used freely. Eleven in all of the rioters were arrested, named as follows: Patrick Phalan, James Carrick, Thomas Bay, Michael Bahan, Terry Bahan, Patrick Whelan, James Cody, James Brady, James Hogan, Michael Carrigan and James Triner, the two latter for attempting to rescue prisoners. The officers were compelled to fight their way to the station-house, and they deserve much credit for their conduct under the circumstances. The officers were Assistant Captain Oswald, and policemen Gilmore, Murray, Quinn, Fulton, Murphy, Allen, Russell, Currey, and Deputy Sheriff John Friend. Yesterday the accused parties were brought before Justice Blackley and committed for examination.


Powered By Fly Design Studio